Monday, March 30, 2009

Editorial Topic Choice

I have decided to use a story from the Houston Chronicle (chron.com) about dash cameras in police cars. The article is talking about a specific case where the cameras were important, which took place in Dallas. This is important to me because I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and so any news related to the areas' law enforcement is related to me. I thought this was interesting because I have always kind of assumed police could do whatever they wanted since it is their word against someone else's. Police are seen as authority figures and are respected, therefore a "he-said-she-said" situation usually ends on the side of the police. With these cameras, however, once the police turn on their lights, the camera starts recording. This is important for cases where the police use physical force since it records what actually happened, so later it can be determined whether or not it is justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment