Monday, March 2, 2009

Perspective Change Based on Research

After researching my topic, I have developed more of an opinion on it. I started out with the idea that, yes, absolutely, media influences our opinions, attitudes, and decisions. As my topic narrowed, my ideas also changed. I was sure media influenced the presidential elections, but I wasn't exactly sure how and in what ways. After further research, my perspective began to change a little bit. I think I have a good idea some of the ways that the media's coverage and celebrity endorsements influence elections. The statistics I have found suggests that candidates that had more magazine and newspaper endorsements also received more votes. As far as celebrity endorsements, I have found that they can be very influential. Oprah, for example, has a TV show, a radio talk show, a magazine, weekly newsletter and other ways to reach her audience. She reaches millions of people everyday. In the past, Oprah has suggested a book that has only sold a few hundred thousand copies and after her endorsement, the book has ended up on the best sellers list. Oprah also backed Obama in the presidential election which affected millions of voters. I think that through my research I have become more convinced that celebrity endorsements and media coverage/portrayal of candidates directly affects their success or failure. I also think that there is a lot of evidence to suggest that this was the case in the most recent election, and it can be argued that today, becoming president has more to do with who supports you than the issues you stand for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment