Monday, March 2, 2009

In class prewriting Rhetorical Analysis Paper

What connects sources?
All of my sources are related to the media’s influence on the presidential election. Specifically, all sources are talking about how the endorsement of candidates by publications and celebrities affects/influences voters. All my sources provide statistics. All my sources imply a connection between media endorsement and the success or failure of a candidate.
Media’s endorsement of candidates is directly related to the outcome of the 2008 presidential election.

Order of sources/organization of sources
-The Role of Celebrity Endorsements in Politics: Oprah, Obama, and the 2008 Democratic Primary
-Newspaper endorsements in the United States presidential election, 2008
-Students find out Oprah endorsement earned Obama votes
-Oprah becomes test of what an endorsement means
(may or may not use the following:)
-Howard Stern’s interview with Harlem voters
-ZOGBY Poll Results
-Wilson Poll Results
- I can use “The Role of Celebrity Endorsements in Politics” source as a main source because it covers a lot of different angles and has a lot of information. I think from that, I can use my other sources to address more specifically some of the areas brought up in the main article. For example, “Students find out Oprah endorsement earned Obama votes” is an article in response to my main source. The source “Newspaper endorsements in the US presidential election, 2008” shows the statistics of endorsements for each candidate.
-I think this order will work for my topic because all of my sources are related, but they each focus on specific issues. I think if I introduce my topic, give the information from my main/general source, then move on to my other sources that are related to specific parts, I will be able to make my argument most affectively.

How do you plan to transition between sources?
I plan to begin with my main source, introducing my controlling idea and the different areas involved. I will move from this to the next source by emphasizing the importance of media endorsements to presidential elections explained in source 2. I will move from source 2 to 3&4 by demonstrating how powerful Oprah is as an endorser and how this relates specifically to the 2008 presidential election.

No comments:

Post a Comment